Director, Institutional Relations
About Nazareth Housing
Nazareth Housing, Inc. is a community-based organization committed to the promotion of housing stability and economic mobility among low-income families and individuals of New York City. We provide homelessness prevention services, emergency family shelter, supportive housing, and urgent needs assistance. Our vision is to empower families and individuals to build a pathway out of poverty and prevent homelessness in our communities. Since 1983, we have been opening doors, transforming lives, and unlocking human potential.
Nazareth Housing has an immediate opening for a Director of Foundation & Government Relations (DFG), a critical member of the organization’s leadership team. Reporting to the Executive Director, the DFG is responsible for NH’s private and public fundraising as well as grants and contract management; the role also involves significant community outreach.
This is a special opportunity for a highly experienced non-profit development professional with an interest in human services to join a well-established and respected community-based organization, while contributing meaningfully to the lives of vulnerable and disenfranchised New Yorkers.
- Produce compelling and timely proposals, using internal data and third-party research to support funding goals for homelessness prevention, supportive housing, emergency family shelter, and urgent needs assistance programs.
- Steward a portfolio of existing foundation donors and maintain close communications with program officers.
- In collaboration with the Executive Director, develop a multi-year foundation funding strategy that aligns with Nazareth Housing’s mission and that meets annual revenue targets.
- Research and identify new foundation prospects. Work with the Executive Director and program staff to cultivate relationships with foundation staff.
- Work closely with senior program and finance leadership to identify funding needs, craft proposals, and develop program budgets.
- Work closely with frontline program staff to accurately capture and convey community needs, client impact stories, and program successes.
- Manage calendar and meet deadlines for proposals, letters of interest, and grant reports.
- Supervise Development staff.
- Work with the Executive Director and senior program leadership to identify and apply for relevant funding opportunities at the city, state, and federal level.
- Prepare and submit materials in response to government RFPs, including program narratives, budgets, and final reports.
- Serve as organizational liaison with the offices of local elected officials, community organizations, and city agencies.
- Leverage relationships with elected officials and community organizations to secure financial and in-kind support for Nazareth Housing’s programs.
- Oversee contract compliance and support program and finance staff in the timely submission of reports and invoices.
- Stay abreast of policy updates impacting the housing and homelessness fields.
- Strong interest in Nazareth Housing’s mission of serving disenfranchised New Yorkers.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree in public policy or related discipline preferred.
- 5-7 years of relevant professional experience in proposal writing, contract management, project management, or government relations.
- Proven track record of securing NYC and NYS agency grants and significant foundation awards.
- Stellar written and verbal communications skills.
- Excellent project management skills and attention to detail.
- Motivated self-starter; comfortable working alone and in teams.
- Bilingual English / Spanish a plus. Experience with Microsoft Office Suite and Google Workspace (especially Google Drive) required.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite and Raiser’s Edge a plus.
Industry: Not-for-Profit – Housing & Homelessness
Reports to: Executive Director
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Benefits: Medical, dental, 403(b), FSA
Classification: Full-Time, Non-Exempt
Location: Remote during the pandemic with possibility of a flexible on-site (NYC) / off-site schedule thereafter.
To apply for this position send a current resume and cover letter explaining your interest in the position and how you see yourself contributing to our mission to firstname.lastname@example.org
Nazareth Housing is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability or veteran status.
If you are interested in joining a team of passionate individuals fighting for a better New York, send your resume and cover letter to: